Three Billboards Outside Somewhere.
- Overt homages to Flannery O’Connor: 1
- Subtle homages to Flannery O’Connor: 100+
- Good people: Maybe 1. Maybe. They’re hard to find.
- Incredibly good acting performances: 2
- Characters so round they’re a spiral: 3
- Acts of violence you might have done, too, in their place: 10 or so.
- Profanities/Vulgarities: Lots.
- Perfect song choices for the moment: 12.
- Racists: Ever been to Somewhere, Ruralia, USA?
- Acts of loving-kindness: Good question. Between 0 and 10, somewhere.
- Loving but way-imperfect moms: 3
- Scripts that deserve an award: 1. It’s by an Irishman, so I guess it’s encouraging that rural America isn’t that hard for an Irishman to understand? Or is that tragic?
- Times I laughed: 30-40. It’s dark humor, but good humor. I know all these people and I love and hate all of them.
Conclusion: See it, really, but brace yourself.