- Gist: Well…science fantasy suspense psychological surreal horror story about, um, a woman who wants to know what happened to her husband.
- Lavish feast of visual effects and cinematography.
- Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh lead a woman-heavy cast with impressive range of depth and nuance.
- What is probably a very smart book has been stuffed into a smart but dense movie. Hard to tell deliberate mysteries from plot holes.
- More genre-blender than genre-bender, swirls together mystery, romance, action, horror, sci-fi, and psych drama into a coherent tale of searching for more than you realize you are searching for.
- I really like this movie, but it is NOT for everyone: tense and discomforting throughout, has body-horror and surreality, some seriously violent moments, and outrageously high humidity.
Conclusion: See it if you want a sharp, scary story of confronting what is alien around and within us all.