- Gist: Lead writer and director from The Last Airbender animated series bring a new fantasy bridging the delight of children’s stories to the gravity of adult stories.
- Animation: Beautiful backdrops behind competent low-framerate computer animation.
- Voice Acting: Solid. Uses a couple of the Airbender cast. Some online dustup about the Elves being Scottish while the humans are American, but that makes perfect sense to me.
- Violence: Good about showing violence as real and serious, but killing and death are never frivolous. Ages about 10+. No blood or horror, but scary images, like a leech the size of a semi-truck! Ick!
- Representation: A strength, with integrated races of humans (not just awkward fantasy stand-ins), various body types, and a kickass female warrior who speaks only through sign language.
Conclusion: This first season is a great start with the promise of getting better and better. Watch it if you like fantasy animation, The Last Airbender (TV), or sibling stories.